Wednesday, January 22, 2003

What a day. First, I wake up late, which results in me being somewhat, uh, tardy, to work (should I admit to that?). Then, because today is a class day (Civ Pro), I leave early to catch the train. But I don't catch the train. Instead, as I pull into the lot, the train arrives. And since it's on the other side of the tracks (accessible only by tunnel), there's no way I'll get to it in time. Which means I'm stuck driving. on the home of the never-ending backup, the Eisenhower Expressway. But miracle of miracles......there's (almost) no traffic, so I zip downtown in a mere 49 minutes!

Tonight is the prayer service for Professor Cooper. I actually liked having her in Torts, even if she did let people wander from the topic from time to time. What a shock last week to find she had "multiple myeloma" - bone cancer. From what we've been told, it hasn't reached the marrow, but she did suffer renal (kidney) failure shortly after our final on December 9th. Of course, everyone was annoyed that our tests hadn't been graded yet (and no grades posted), but somehow that dissolved the minute we found out why. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Turned out to be a good day. I got to Loyola earlier than expected, so I could talk to Financial Aid about loans for the summer semester (my lovely trip to Rome and Oxford), and also talk about the possibility of switching to full-time. On the one hand, it would be nice to take off some of the pressure, but on the other hand......giving up a decent (if somewhat annoying) job with decent benefits = very scary.

I also got my U-Pass, which means unlimited rides on the CTA. Now I can not worry about whether or not I have enough money on the transit card. Whoopee!!!!

I'm excited about Civ Pro - we get to file a complaint, motions....all the really fun stuff. Ok, that's psychotic, but this has been a dream for a long time, and now I'm finally doing it. Part of the reason I'd like to switch to full time is that I'd get to be more involved in the whole experience - moot court/law review, networking, summer associate. I'm just afraid that staying part time would make it more difficult to get a job when I'm done. And besides, I finish a year sooner, always a plus at my age.....

Tomorrow is day 2 of Contracts...but in reality, it's day 1.....that is, the first real day of real contracts, and the real Socratic method. I said nothing in class last week (unusual for me), and I don't think I'll speak up tomorrow, unless called on. I'm waiting to see how she runs class. Of course, uncertainty didn't stop Kevin, Larsh, and Conrad from speaking up. To Moses' credit, she did a fantastic job of cutting Kevin off at the quick last week. The King of Beating A Dead Horse didn't know what to do.....

My ear is killing me. It feels like theres water or something in there - very compacted, hard to describe.I think I have an infection. I had a headache earlier, and Miguel's Ibuprofin didn't help. Actually, the headache started last night, on the side of the infection. Fortunately, I have some antibiotic from a previous bout. (Don't worry, it's a full, fairly new prescription. I got a refill, then found I didn't need it.....) And some Extra Strength Tylenol for the headache.

TBC......

No comments: